In honor of the topsy-turvy situation which Hurricane Sandy has created, I bring you clothing, decor and lifestyle items inspired by deluges of rain and squalls of wind. The subways are shutdown, the tunnels are inaccessible, all public transpiration in-and-out of the city is postponed, the stock market is closed and even the 24-hour drugstores have had their lights turned off and doors locked. We are stuck on the isle of Manhattan! After waiting in unreasonably long lines, we purchased bottles of water, candles, matches, canned goods and a cache of cat food (meow)! Are we being neurotic? Maybe. Are we definitely prepared? Who knows!
My personal favorite thing about storms are the stunning photographs and mental images captured. The sky can looks both disastrous and beautiful, chaotic and calming. The juxtaposition of angry nebulous clouds and soft, dusty blues can be downright stunning.
1. PHILIPP PLEIN – Gold Jungle Flamingo Velour Loafer. The glam image of deep purple velour in the style that has taken the season by storm could only be embellished by the brand’s iconic crystal skull
2. ESSIE – Midnight Cami. A shimmering and deep twilight blue, this nail polish is a dark navy that changes with the weather and sun.
3. STELLA MCCARTNEY – Mietta embroidered crepe top. Designers embraced the opulence of the Baroque period for FW12, and this royal-blue crepe top demonstrates Stella McCartney’s uniquely modern interpretation of the look. Its sharply tailored silhouette is contrasted by a flourish of embroidered swirls, balancing minimalism with Old World grandeur.
4. PANTONE – Sky Blue Bone China Espresso Cup – 2728. The perenneial color experts and hue authorities at Pantone captured the color of a deep sky of nebulous clouds in mug form.
5. OAK NYC- Navy Black Rope. Recalling the nautical knots that sailors would tie, as well as a fisherman’s cord and hook, this Miansai bracelet echoes man’s want (and inability) to control the tides of the sea.
6. SOCIAL PROPER – Navy Swirls. This watercolor, abstract illustration is part doodle, part pattern repetition that can be waves or clouds! Bring an aqueous atmosphere into any home without cleanup!
Image of the violent storm above from New York City on July 26, 2012. (Photo: Inga Sarda-Sorensen via TweetPic)
So far, the condensation is only coming down in drizzles, but soon we are bracing for being bombarded by extreme weather conditions. Sure there are negatives to this forced stand-still of life, but the positives are also fun. My fiancé and I are catching up on taking baths, reading books, watching movies and we have off from work! We enjoy this forced departure from the world of electricity and the hubbub of NYC.
1. FJS – Clouds Two Sided Pillows. Whenever Francis is on a flight somewhere he loves to stare out the window of the plane and marvel in the beauty of the clouds. He always thought that clouds would make an amazing pillow design and would look fantastic in any setting – traditional or contemporary alike. All pillows in the Francis Jens Spitta collection are hand sewn.
2. CARVEN – Sleeveless Dress. A cloud printed and dreamy dress evokes the ethereal and ever-changing nature of barometric patterns. One cannot help but to float in and out of a room in this airy number.
3. ANTHROPOLOGIE – Capri Blue Candle Tin. This 40 hour burn candle made of soy wax comes in a scent called “Volcano” which evokes tropical fruits, sugared oranges, lemons and limes, redolent with lightly exotic mountain greens.
4. WEST ELM – Tapered Tall Hive Vase. A bright buzz. These honeycomb terracotta Hive Vases are hand-painted and glazed in brilliant hues. Fill them with fresh bouquets or flowering branches, alone or in sets.
5. SHE INSIDE – Green Long Sleeve Geometric Print Pullover Sweater. The exotic color play of the sweater is part navajo and party scientific, evoking the crystalline structure of ice.
Image of the Statue of Liberty from Reuters with the caption: New York prepares for what could be the worst storm in modern times.
Stay safe and batten down the hatches!